Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Ribbon Tying Tutorial

SNOW DAY!!

Everything is covered in ice! Cody is one very happy camper! Judy called me at 5:30 to tell me the news, and I rolled over and slept for 2 more hours! I rescheduled my nail appointment, and I can still make it next door for some spring cleaning at the neighbor's house! So all is well! I thought I would post a tutorial today. I remember posting this on some message board years ago, but it has been a while, and I still run in to a lot of people who have never seen it. So here goes! This is for tying a ribbon around the length of a card. It keeps the ribbon much more secure than just tying it. Sometimes it is very loose when tied around the normal way!
Figure I
Punch a whole in your card, either with an eyelet punch or long reach punch. I use the general eyelet sized punch. Punch it right along the margin (about 1/4" in from the edge) and about halfway between the top and the bottom.
**Please note for the future, you could put the hole anywhere along the length of the card depending on card design, but for now this is a great place to practice. **

Figure II
Take your piece of ribbon, approximately 3 times the length of your card, and lay it down over the front of the card, lengthwise.

Figure III Take the ends of the ribbon and wrap them around the edges of the card, and put them through the hole from the inside of the card. The ends will be heading out the whole and peaking through the front of the card.


Figure IV- Turn card back over so you are looking at the front, and pull those ends through the hole all the way. One tail should be on each side of the ribbon stretching down the length of the front of the card.

Figure V-- Tie ribbons in a square knot or a bow, and you are done!!


Now remember, now that you know how to tie this bow, you could punch and tie it anywhere along the length of the card. You are not limited to the center. That is the great thing about tying it this way, no matter where you put the hole (which determines where the bow/knot goes), it is very secure! Thanks for reading, and have a safe and great Wednesday!

Keri

4 comments:

Niki Estes said...

Great tutorial! I always forget about this way to tie ribbon. Thanks for reminding me!

Lisa Renéa said...

Dang it girl! I wish I'd seen this yesterday! Ya know I'm ribbon & bow challenged. Your bows are always gorgeous IRL! Thanks for the 411.

Lisa Renéa said...

Keri! Ha! Guess what? While I swore yesterday, I'm not learning any thing new-I came back to use your ribbon tut. Fabulous! Worked like a charm! Thanks for posting! It's great to share this type of stuff, esp for us, girls who have no local classes or stores, etc.

Momsnack said...

Thank you! Thank you! I always have trouble with ribbon/bows and hate to glue them down. You are a life-saver!
NancyS (momsnack)